Even in the case of terminal illness when someone is receiving palliative care, death is always devastating and unexpected for the loved ones left behind.
The role of Arthur W Mays Funeral Directors is to shoulder the burden of funeral arrangements and managing the funeral itself, leaving you free to grieve.
The expert services we provide cover both practical and emotional support, and include the following:
Leading up to the Funeral
- Contact us immediately a death occurs, and we will guide you through the process of what to do to. From the first contact onwards, we are available to you 24 hours a day, every day, for help and advice.
- With the right authority we’ll remove the remains from the place of death to our peaceful Chapel of Rest, where family and friends are welcome to come and pay their respects.
- We will meet with you as often and for as long as it takes to get to know you and the deceased, in order to plan an appropriate funeral. We’ll help you make decisions and follow your instructions.
- Once the plan is finalised our professional funeral directors will make all the arrangements and handle all the paperwork.
- You’ll receive a full detailed estimate of all the costs of the planned funeral, including any disbursements (third party payments) that are payable and the price of the chosen casket or urn.
- We will insert funeral notices in the local press on your behalf.
On the Day of the Funeral
- Our funeral directors, appropriately and smartly attired, will oversee all the arrangements and act as hosts and master of ceremonies for the funeral.
- We will have arranged transport for the funeral cortege as required – including limousines if desired.
- The venue for the ceremony or service and subsequent cremation or interment will be prepped with the chosen music, hymn sheets, order of service etc. and ready to receive the funeral guests, with all the relevant fees having been paid on behalf of the family.
- The funeral directors will act as pall-bearers with due dignity, or assist any chosen pall-bearers to perform the task.
- If you are having a committal service, perhaps a private one, after the ceremony our funeral directors will escort you and the hearse to the site to you pay your final respects.
- If requested, we will have hired caterers for a wake – either at home, an external venue or at our attractive Funeral Home.
- We’ll organise any floral tributes and/or charitable donations and take charge of them until after the funeral is over.
After the Funeral
- On the day following the funeral we will contact you to ensure that you were satisfied that everything went smoothly.
- We’ll arrange to send any flowers in our care on to you, or offer to place them at the grave or crematorium garden of remembrance.
- If your loved one was cremated we’ll arrange for you to collect the ashes.
- We are happy to arrange for the creation and placement of headstones or memorials on your behalf.
Another important service we offer is a selection of pre-paid funeral plans, which can relieve your family of much of the worry in the event of your demise. By paying for your funeral in advance in instalments you are protecting yourself from rising costs and are able to specify the funeral arrangements you like.